Discussion: Who played Joe Driscoll?Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 11 of 11  |  Show  posts at a time
dolcecat
dolcecat
Who played Joe Driscoll?
Sep 4 2008, 5:06 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 4 2008, 5:06 PM EDT
Here is a theory that my friend has... what do you think? Since they don't show Harry's funeral, is it possible that Harry assumed the name Joe Driscoll to cover up the fact that he was really Dexter's biological father. She thinks that Harry never actually commited suicide and when Joe died it was actually Harry, that is why he had the card that Dexter had made. I checked the credits to see who played Joe Driscoll in that episode and everyone is listed but him? SI... who played Joe Driscoll on the show? I can't find that info anywhere. Can you? 0  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: None

MaSheen
1. RE: Who played Joe Driscoll?
Sep 22 2009, 2:43 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 22 2009, 2:43 PM EDT
No one played Joe Driscoll, he has never been shown so far in the series. I figure he'll probably factor into season 4 as they reveal why Harry concealed Joe's existence. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
ZizzyB23
ZizzyB23
2. RE: Who played Joe Driscoll?
Sep 22 2009, 5:31 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 22 2009, 5:31 PM EDT
Pictures of Joe, and his dead body, were shown all throughout the episode "Fathers Knows Best" (season one, episode nine). Dexter remembers being in the car with him and staring at his spiderweb tattoo. Joe Driscoll was certainly not Harry and certainly was a real person. While no credit is given to Joe Driscoll, that is most likely due to the fact that he had no lines, which is just as good as being an extra, and extras aren't given credits. 3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
RyuuketsuEG
RyuuketsuEG
3. RE: Who played Joe Driscoll?
Sep 23 2009, 3:13 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 23 2009, 3:44 AM EDT
What I think is that Joe Driscoll is related to Dexter but not his father. We haven't heard Masuka saying to debra (on the phone) that the blood from sample 1 was the father from sample 2. They were related. I think that Joe Driscoll is Dexters Uncle or something and that Harry is Dexters bio dad and that is also the reason that Harry took Dexter in but not Brian. So where does that leave Driscoll?
He might be the brother of Laura Moser. Why does he have a different last name? He's an ex-con and I think he changed his name to start a new life. Like they said in the series, let me quote that (copy paste ftw :P)

(Halfway through the episode "Father Knows Best")
Dexter: "Joe bought this house outright in 1976. Paid cash. No records before that." "No records," says Rudy, "no childhood photos. The guy was sixty, but it's like his life started when he was thirty." Rita agrees. "So, what happened between years one and twenty-nine?" says Deb. Rudy speculates, "Maybe he butchered his entire family." Deb says she thinks he was just a loser who maybe split on his wife. "What do you think, Dex?" asks Rudy. "I think Joe spent some time in prison, probably mixed with some bad people. Maybe he had to hide from them." "Whatever it was, drugs were involved," says Rita, holding up a pin. "Narcotics Anonymous. Paul used to get these, but he's never get past his welcome chip." Dexter counts the chips, saying, "Looks like Joe was clean for --" "Let me guess: thirty years," says Deb

Of course this is just a theory but if it's true (or partly true) it makes Debra and Dexter half siblings! :P
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

mike91848
4. RE: Who played Joe Driscoll?
Sep 23 2009, 4:29 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 23 2009, 4:29 AM EDT
"What I think is that Joe Driscoll is related to Dexter but not his father. We haven't heard Masuka saying to debra (on the phone) that the blood from sample 1 was the father from sample 2. They were related. I think that Joe Driscoll is Dexters Uncle or something and that Harry is Dexters bio dad and that is also the reason that Harry took Dexter in but not Brian. So where does that leave Driscoll?
He might be the brother of Laura Moser. Why does he have a different last name? He's an ex-con and I think he changed his name to start a new life. Like they said in the series, let me quote that (copy paste ftw :P)

(Halfway through the episode "Father Knows Best")
Dexter: "Joe bought this house outright in 1976. Paid cash. No records before that." "No records," says Rudy, "no childhood photos. The guy was sixty, but it's like his life started when he was thirty." Rita agrees. "So, what happened between years one and twenty-nine?" says Deb. Rudy speculates, "Maybe he butchered his entire family." Deb says she thinks he was just a loser who maybe split on his wife. "What do you think, Dex?" asks Rudy. "I think Joe spent some time in prison, probably mixed with some bad people. Maybe he had to hide from them." "Whatever it was, drugs were involved," says Rita, holding up a pin. "Narcotics Anonymous. Paul used to get these, but he's never get past his welcome chip." Dexter counts the chips, saying, "Looks like Joe was clean for --" "Let me guess: thirty years," says Deb

Of course this is just a theory but if it's true (or partly true) it makes Debra and Dexter half siblings! :P"
Good theory. What if Joe was placed in a witness protection program? That would explain the missing years. Harry could have found out or been apart of that effort. Not sure how Brian/Rudy could have found Joe.
Do you find this valuable?    
clairebbbear
clairebbbear
5. RE: Who played Joe Driscoll?
Sep 23 2009, 3:43 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 23 2009, 3:45 PM EDT
I don't know enough about DNA tests to know whether they would indicate what kind of relationship two people had - whether you can tell the difference between an uncle-nephew match and a father-son match.

I would assume you can, because a father-son match would be closer genetically. Anyone know?

Aside from that, the main reason that this theory doesn't make sense is that there's not much point to it.

Even if it were true - so Deb and Dexter are actually half-brother/sister - so what?

All that it would do is make Deb wonder - if she ever found out about Dexter's secret - if some of his traits have passed on to her.

Also, if Harry knew Dexter was his own son, or even had a suspicion of it, would he still have adopted him? It would be bad enough in terms of likelihood of getting in trouble with Doris for Harry to hav come home with a strange, disturbed kid and told her to look after it - let alone one who seemed to already know who Harry was (because he's "Mommy's special friend who used to come over to our place a lot"). Why would Harry take the risk of getting in more trouble if Dexter ends up looking like him when he gets older?

I mean - I know it was the 70s and all, but still...
clairebbbear
clairebbbear
6. RE: Who played Joe Driscoll?
Sep 23 2009, 4:15 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 23 2009, 4:15 PM EDT
And another thing - Joe was too young when he died to have been Dexter's grandfather, so he has to have been his uncle, or perhaps cousin.

If he's his uncle, he's either Harry's brother or Laura's brother.

He can't be Laura's brother, because Joe himself believed he was Dexter's biological father. That means Joe would have had to have believed that he'd slept with his own sister.

If he's Harry's brother, his real name would have been Joe Morgan, and that's the name that would have appeared on Dexter's original birth certificate as Dexter's father. If we are assuming he changed his name to Driscott at the age of 30-ish, that's some time after Dexter's birth (he was in his early 20s at the time of Dexter's birth).

I think that Brian managed to find that original birth certificate and identify Joe Driscoll from it. Brian wanted Dexter to find out that Joe was his biological father by killing him. Why would he bother doing that if the name of his father on his birth certificate was Joe Morgan?
skarface
skarface
7. RE: Who played Joe Driscoll?
Sep 23 2009, 5:25 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 23 2009, 5:25 PM EDT
Greetings Dexter fans!

I noticed that the showtime website doesn't really have a great platform for members who want live
chat access to connect to each other... Sure, posting messages all day on a message board is great
and all but why not have a live interactive alternative? I am looking for solid fans with a little
bit of internet know how to help me run the chatroom... Please contact me at scarface@xsirc.net to
find out how to get more involved... This is an open invitation for all fans of the show!

In the meantime.. please join me at the following link and look for "scarface" or "xavier"

http://scaly.org/chat/dexter

OR

http://www.tinyurl.com/DEXCHAT
:-)

HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL THERE SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 27th @9PM!

PS... We will have season 4 downloads of the show available on our website but you must come to our chat room to find out how to get it!!!
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

mike91848
8. RE: Who played Joe Driscoll?
Sep 23 2009, 5:25 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 23 2009, 5:25 PM EDT
All good points, Claire. I think Joe was Dexter's bio dad and that has been the theme in the show. I still think it was the "event" in the cargo container that changed Dexter, nothing else. I don't think there will be any "reason" to start looking at Deb as a potential serial killer. Do you find this valuable?    

j80991
9. RE: Who played Joe Driscoll?
Oct 16 2010, 10:54 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 16 2010, 10:54 AM EDT
I am re-watching season 1 on DVD now. Does anyone know if Keith Carradine played the dead body of Joe Driscoll. There's a tremendous resemble between the dead Joe Driscoll and the crime scene dead body photos of Lundy (From Season 4). May not be.... I was just curious. 2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

DianaMarcum
10. RE: Who played Joe Driscoll?
May 18 2012, 5:59 AM EDT | Post edited: May 18 2012, 5:59 AM EDT
"I am re-watching season 1 on DVD now. Does anyone know if Keith Carradine played the dead body of Joe Driscoll. There's a tremendous resemble between the dead Joe Driscoll and the crime scene dead body photos of Lundy (From Season 4). May not be.... I was just curious."
That was exactally my thoughts, I originally found this forum trying to confirm my belief that Keith Carradine was in fact Joe Driscoll. The similarities are there.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?