Discussion: How should Dexter end?Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 64  |  Show  posts at a time
2 3 4 | Next

himynamesnick
How should Dexter end?
Jul 26 2010, 10:33 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 26 2010, 10:33 PM EDT
I've seen a lot of posts on different sites about people sharing their thoughts on how Dexter should end, and I want to hear your thoughts.
A lot of people have been throwing around the idea of him being caught or fleeing the country, or perhaps a final fight between him and Deb. Or maybe following in the footsteps of the book and having him teach the kids the Code of Harry. So I want to know your thoughts on how it all should end (though I wish it never does!)

Personally, I think it'd be best if he confided in someone (Deb) and admitted everything, so he can learn to quit what he's doing. I think this is a good ending mostly because I think in the new season he's going to realize that he isn't the monster he always thought he was and that he honestly loves his family and doesn't want them to have to go through what Trinity's family did when they found out. I think it'd be cool if the kids show the same tendencies that Dexter did when he was younger, but instead of training them he chooses to try and "cure" them, realizing that Harry only taught him the code because it was the only way he knew how to protect Dexter. I dunno, I just don't think him dying or getting caught is a good ending, because after this last season where he realizes he truly loves and would give anything for his family, it would be a shame to see that drastic character development go to waste. As dark as the show is, I must admit I would love for it to have a happy ending.
13  out of 14 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: 5 Dexter ending finale Season
bap3221
bap3221
1. RE: How should Dexter end?
Aug 17 2010, 9:58 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 17 2010, 9:58 AM EDT
yeaaaa. the last thing i want to see is Dexter getting caught. The best that he can do is pass it on to his kid. But then that means the kid would have to get older quicker making dexter older.

The sequels all depend on this one. if he can manage to deal with his mistake. I think that if he manages to get over it, then there will be probably 2 or 3 more seasons until the final one. This season is so unpredictable now. I will not miss a single episode this time.
6  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    
jwnelson11
jwnelson11
2. RE: How should Dexter end?
Aug 17 2010, 3:03 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 17 2010, 3:03 PM EDT
"yeaaaa. the last thing i want to see is Dexter getting caught. The best that he can do is pass it on to his kid. But then that means the kid would have to get older quicker making dexter older.

The sequels all depend on this one. if he can manage to deal with his mistake. I think that if he manages to get over it, then there will be probably 2 or 3 more seasons until the final one. This season is so unpredictable now. I will not miss a single episode this time."
I do npot think he should be caught. I know it is a moral dilema.... He is a murder and he should be brought to justice and all of that. But he has suffered enough so If He can make it all the way to being Normal I say let him live and we should applaud him for his civic duty and how he ahs taken out the trash in Miami.

I do not want him caught I want him to become normal and live the rest of his life with his kids not knowing what he did.
8  out of 10 found this valuable. Do you?    

Tigorhoang
3. RE: How should Dexter end?
Nov 4 2010, 9:41 AM EDT | Post edited: Nov 4 2010, 9:41 AM EDT
I see this series going another 2-3 seasons max.

I know so far most of you want to see this series have a happy ending but I see it going another route.

First off somewhere between the last seasons eventually Deb will find out about Dexter's secret. Deb will not know how to react, she will be debating with herself through out one of the next seasons. She will keep her distance from Dexter as she makes up her mind. Either bring him to justice or just keep it a secret. She is conflicted.

Dexter and Deb will eventually talk and Dexter will confess to Deb that her father taught him the Code and how to cover his tracks. She becomes angry, confused, sad, and frustrated. She leaves Dexter be for now.

In the 7th or 8th season....
There will be a a rival Serial Killer-Killer that is inspired by the Bay Harbor Butcher, to this character and the rest of the public BHB is Sgt. James Doakes. He trails Dexter believing Dexter is a bad guy. So Dexter is a target to kill.

In the very end the rival Serial-Killer Killer outmatches Dexter placing him on a killing table. Debra in the meantime has finally made up her mind and is able to track Dexter down. But by the time she reaches the area it is too late, right as he inserts the knife into Dexter, Debra's bullet lands right into Dexter's rival's head killing him. Dexter is able to have his last words and memories and narration as he bleeds out, flashbacks, etc, the works. Debra is crying wishing she had got there sooner. They have an exchange of final words, Dexter telling Deb to take care of Harrison....and goodbye.

There will be a final flash forward scene
Debra has adopted Harrison. She catches him killing an animal. They go inside and have a chat. She holds hims just as Harry held Dexter once. The final moment will be a look on Deb's face. This will hint that she will pass the code down to Harrison thus creating another cycle.
30  out of 34 found this valuable. Do you?    

MarinaLevy
4. RE: How should Dexter end?
Nov 4 2010, 11:02 AM EDT | Post edited: Nov 4 2010, 11:02 AM EDT
How should Dexter end?
It shouldn't! Dexter forever!
:)
Seriously, I'm really afraid of the idea that the series will end.
11  out of 13 found this valuable. Do you?    
bap3221
bap3221
5. RE: How should Dexter end?
Nov 4 2010, 12:32 PM EDT | Post edited: Nov 4 2010, 12:32 PM EDT
i dont think this is the last season. This may be the beginning of Dexter since his wife died. Like the other person said though it might go another 2-3. you cant possibly go beyond that. I think the end is going to be just as boring as season 3. The kids will come back in a new home with Dexter but i dont see Lumen surviving til next season. They just cant have her getting Dexter in trouble everytime. Plus I only think shes a special guest.

Unless! She fakes as Rita for the kids and puts a wig on! Maybe the whole family becomes killers!
2  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Carl61241
6. RE: How should Dexter end?
Nov 6 2010, 2:35 PM EDT | Post edited: Nov 6 2010, 2:35 PM EDT
I don't know how it should end, though I have a couple guesses on how it might end.

1. Dexter confesses all to Deb, she is distressed for awhile, but eventually talks him into turning himself in, he instead gives her a dose of sedative, and disappears. At the end, they show Dexter applying for a job in another city.

2. Dexter is finally outsmarted by another killer who he's playing with.

I think the chances are low of imprisonment.

There's an off chance that he learns to control himself.

But, my best guess is this, there is no real ending, nothing firm, kinda like Sopranos did, let him continue on without us.
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
PLZhopOFFmyD1CK
PLZhopOFFmyD1CK
7. RE: How should Dexter end?
Nov 8 2010, 12:39 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 8 2010, 12:39 AM EST
1) I could see Dex learning to control himself and breaking the cycle, mainly because a lot of this show is parallel to the vices everyone has. The writers seem to make Dexter a symbol of hope that even the most messed up individuals can move on from where they come from.

That would be boring and a complete disappointment though. I think a more appropriate theme would be "born in blood, die in blood".

2) I can see this show going all the way to the end without Deb ever finding out. Perhaps Dex gets _almost_ killed, saved by Deb, then the last few minutes is him explaining who he is. Much like the conversation between Rita and Trinity, by not showing her reaction, it gives the viewers an open ending to make their own conclusions.

That seems like an easy way out though. I'm glad I'm not a writer.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

caphie
8. RE: How should Dexter end?
Nov 9 2010, 8:01 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 9 2010, 8:01 AM EST
I know a lot of people think Dex should confide with Deb... but I'm of a different mindset. Quinn has made some comments in previous episodes that he "understands" what it would be like to want to kill somone, but that he just wouldn't do it. We also already know he is willing to break the rules (the stolen money). We also know he is on a path to discover Dexter's secrets.

I think Quinn should end up being Dexter's confidant. I think Quinn would be the type to support what Dexter does and even assist, where possible, from within the homicide dept.

That's what I'd like to see...

JTreetop
9. RE: How should Dexter end?
Nov 9 2010, 5:12 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 9 2010, 5:12 PM EST
I have no moral dilemma with Dexter. In real life, vigilantism is too unpredictable, but as the audience, we know Dexter's code and methods. He has an error rate lower than the American courts that send criminals to death row. 3  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

JTreetop
10. RE: How should Dexter end?
Nov 9 2010, 5:17 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 9 2010, 5:21 PM EST
Re: Sopranos ending - Chase said the finale was definitive and all the answers were in the finale. Based on that statement, and after watching again, I'm certain the ending was not ambiguous. I don't want to say more though, in case it would spoil it for anyone watching in the future. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

JTreetop
11. RE: How should Dexter end?
Nov 9 2010, 5:19 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 9 2010, 5:19 PM EST
"I know a lot of people think Dex should confide with Deb... but I'm of a different mindset. Quinn has made some comments in previous episodes that he "understands" what it would be like to want to kill somone, but that he just wouldn't do it. We also already know he is willing to break the rules (the stolen money). We also know he is on a path to discover Dexter's secrets.

I think Quinn should end up being Dexter's confidant. I think Quinn would be the type to support what Dexter does and even assist, where possible, from within the homicide dept.

That's what I'd like to see..."
Caphie - I agree! Except that I'm thinking Quinn finds out and decides to keep it to himself. Right now, he dislikes Dex because he thinks he does bad things and has the nerve to be smug... things like cheating on his wife, perhaps even killing her, etc. Quinn wouldn't be above "getting the bad guy," if he wouldn't get caught. I feel like he'd find new respect for Dex if he found out what was really going on, and I'm predicting that...
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Minorellen
12. RE: How should Dexter end?
Nov 9 2010, 6:10 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 9 2010, 6:10 PM EST
"

Mee too. It would be interesting to see

jlb20
13. RE: How should Dexter end?
Nov 11 2010, 7:51 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 11 2010, 7:51 AM EST
They tend to cyclical with Dexter. I see his the show ending with his death. Perhaps similiar to how Harry died, or something to do with his son's first kill. Can't see a happy ending. Nothing else has been warm and fuzzy 1  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

IanSchuessele
14. RE: How should Dexter end?
Nov 16 2010, 4:06 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 16 2010, 4:06 PM EST
"How should Dexter end?
It shouldn't! Dexter forever!
:)
Seriously, I'm really afraid of the idea that the series will end."
Indeed, I'm not sure what makes me feel sicker inside.

The notion that one day Dexter the series will come to an end.

Or.

The notion that as a mortal being, one day I will expire.
4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Selle_Castaigneda
15. RE: How should Dexter end?
Nov 20 2010, 7:26 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 20 2010, 7:31 AM EST

I have a speculation about how the Dexter series ends. I base it on how Trinity was going to jump off that building in Tampa but Dexter (plus the other guys) saved Trinity. Dexter asked himself "will this be how it ends for me?". And he also thought to himself "this is why he unburdened himself [the previous day when he took Dex to his childhood home and said how his sister and parents died]......he [felt free to tell me] because he knew he was going to end it".

So take this scene as a possible foreshadow for Dexter. Maybe he tells
Deb and then he goes to kill himself but she stops him in the brink of time. I think that would be a wild ending. Deb and Dex walk away from the edge together and it appears she accepts his secrets but of course, we don't really know. Maybe she turns him in, maybe she doesn't.

Selle_Castaigneda
16. RE: How should Dexter end?
Nov 20 2010, 7:34 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 20 2010, 7:34 AM EST
"Indeed, I'm not sure what makes me feel sicker inside.

The notion that one day Dexter the series will come to an end.

Or.

The notion that as a mortal being, one day I will expire."
Great post!

Instantkrma1
17. RE: How should Dexter end?
Nov 20 2010, 4:07 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 20 2010, 4:07 PM EST
"I know a lot of people think Dex should confide with Deb... but I'm of a different mindset. Quinn has made some comments in previous episodes that he "understands" what it would be like to want to kill somone, but that he just wouldn't do it. We also already know he is willing to break the rules (the stolen money). We also know he is on a path to discover Dexter's secrets.

I am seeing Quinn being Dexters coverup agent in Miami Metro. Why because he is head over heels in love with Deb, and willing to make the hard decisions to protect her. Second we don't know Quinn's past he might have a secret vigilante side to him similar to Harry.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Instantkrma1
18. RE: How should Dexter end?
Nov 20 2010, 4:12 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 20 2010, 4:12 PM EST
The show should end with Dexter escaping from the U.S and the FBI. After a massive international man search, I hoping for a Hannibal Lector get away. 4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Johnny_Morgan
19. RE: How should Dexter end?
Nov 24 2010, 6:49 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 24 2010, 6:49 AM EST
I’m probably in the minority here.. but when the series ends, I want Dexter to be caught and put in prison. There needs to be a real ending..

I hope that the final scene isn’t him being caught, though. I would like to see the reactions of everyone at the station hearing the news that Dexter is a serial killer.
7  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    
2 3 4 | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)