Discussion: Reaction to the FinaleReported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 213  |  Show  posts at a time
2 3 4 5 | Next > Last
DiscoveringDexter
DiscoveringDexter
Reaction to the Finale
Dec 12 2010, 4:05 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 12 2010, 4:05 PM EST
Wow, spoiler alert-- if you haven't seen it yet, don't read this thread. I was expecting more of a cliff hanger but happy with the fairy tale ending. I think deb has her suspicions because she asked Dex if he was glad it was over... 3  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: None

Puckhog27
1. RE: Reaction to the Finale
Dec 12 2010, 4:13 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 12 2010, 4:13 PM EST
I would have been sad if Quinn went to jail. I'm not sure why Dexter dislikes him so much, but he seems like a decent guy to me.

The biggest rip off was Deb not finding out Dexter is a killer. I guess that will be for another season.

Lumen leaving didn't really make a difference to me. I didn't expect her to just leave because she had no reason to kill anyone anymore. The whole dark passenger concept is a bit silly IMO. It's more a habit and you have to be willing to stop that habit. Dexter seems to like his dark passenger to much to let go of it.

At least we get a happy ending this year for the most part.
0  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Johnny_Morgan
2. RE: Reaction to the Finale
Dec 12 2010, 4:14 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 12 2010, 4:14 PM EST
I'm alittle disappointed with the finale. I'm fine with Lumen killing Chase, Dexter helping Quinn, etc.. I'm even fine with Deb not finding out it was Dexter behind the plastic sheet.. but I would have liked a cliffhanger for next season.... 3  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
jjjjason
jjjjason
3. RE: Reaction to the Finale
Dec 12 2010, 4:15 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 12 2010, 4:15 PM EST
Not really sure what to make of it. I didn't want Lumen to die and I didn't want Dexter to get caught so I guess I should be happy.
Not liking that we didn't get to find out what motivated Chase.
Glad that the people that thought the nanny was evil can now shut up and realise how stupid they were.
I guess after last seasons finale they couldn't really shock us so went with the everything comes together ending like in the other 3 seasons, just not in as dramatic a fashion.

Quinn now knows about Dexter? and so does debs maybe? Think the finale would have been better if debs saw lumen and dexter, much better.
4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

iRage
4. RE: Reaction to the Finale
Dec 12 2010, 4:15 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 12 2010, 4:15 PM EST
Well...we all knew the special guest star of the season wasnt going to make it to the next season.. I thought it was a bit cliche and totally saw it coming once Jordan Chase/Eugene was outta the picture 2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
DiscoveringDexter
DiscoveringDexter
5. RE: Reaction to the Finale
Dec 12 2010, 4:28 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 12 2010, 4:28 PM EST
Just saw the Julia Stiles interview and she says that Deb knew it was them. Hmmm I didn't catch that. 3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

iRage
6. RE: Reaction to the Finale
Dec 12 2010, 4:28 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 12 2010, 4:28 PM EST
"Well...we all knew the special guest star of the season wasnt going to make it to the next season.. I thought it was a bit cliche and totally saw it coming once Jordan Chase/Eugene was outta the picture"
Okay...Perhaps a cliffhanger, just seen the interview with Julia Stiles and it seems as if she said Lumen might return in the next season
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
MaryKeuffer
MaryKeuffer
7. RE: Reaction to the Finale
Dec 12 2010, 4:30 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 12 2010, 4:30 PM EST
I still kept hope that Lumen would stay and we'd get to watch the first serial killing duo....complete with bickering over who gets to kill next or who to kill,....mixing the relationship in with the dark passenger. I hope and hope and hope Lumen comes back......so do all the folks I speak with. 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

samkatz
8. a dud
Dec 12 2010, 4:31 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 12 2010, 4:31 PM EST
I guess the biggest surprise was that there was no surprise at all. no plot twists unless you call Debra seeing dex and lumen through the sheet and letting them go.. but we knew she was sympathetic to the vigilantes after watching all those horrific tapes
What really bugs me is the thing w/ the blood on Quinns shoes. We know Dexter fixed the report but how? what was the explaination? Animal blood? Quinn cut himself shaving? and wouldnt the cops still grill quinn? after all,
if the had an excuse for the blood or even if he thought it was just random drops of blood he picked up on the sidewalks of Miami, he would not have had to clam up and wait for a lawyer. That part of the "happy ending" really defies logic and makes all the people in the dept look dumb...
3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Puckhog27
9. RE: a dud
Dec 12 2010, 4:38 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 12 2010, 4:38 PM EST
" I guess the biggest surprise was that there was no surprise at all. no plot twists unless you call Debra seeing dex and lumen through the sheet and letting them go.. but we knew she was sympathetic to the vigilantes after watching all those horrific tapes
What really bugs me is the thing w/ the blood on Quinns shoes. We know Dexter fixed the report but how? what was the explaination? Animal blood? Quinn cut himself shaving? and wouldnt the cops still grill quinn? after all,
if the had an excuse for the blood or even if he thought it was just random drops of blood he picked up on the sidewalks of Miami, he would not have had to clam up and wait for a lawyer. That part of the "happy ending" really defies logic and makes all the people in the dept look dumb..."
Thats true. I didn't think much of it because without the blood they can't tie him to the crime scene. No one knows he was there but Dexter. They could likely ask him all the questions they want, but even with his connection to Liddy its hard to do anything to him without any proof.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
rialcnis
rialcnis
10. RE: a dud
Dec 12 2010, 4:43 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 12 2010, 4:43 PM EST
I thought the shows was great up till Lumen's bombshell. Lumen needs to come back. J Stiles is terrific in the show. Maybe Dexter will lose his dark passanger too and stroll off into the sunset with Lumen, at the end of the series, but that's not good enough. I want her back next season. 3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
IamDexter
IamDexter
11. RE: a dud
Dec 12 2010, 4:44 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 12 2010, 4:44 PM EST
Its weird dexter showed more emotion when lumen broke up with him then when rita died. 3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

rufkutdiamnd
12. RE: a dud
Dec 12 2010, 4:49 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 12 2010, 4:49 PM EST
I want to see Lumen come back too! I think that when she gets where she is going she will find out that she don't fit in and will come back to Dexter. Hey Shotime thats a great story line for next season! Even Aster liked her! Do you find this valuable?    

Lugez
13. re: a dud
Dec 12 2010, 4:50 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 12 2010, 4:50 PM EST
I was very dissapointed this finale...

Nothing happened. Quinn doesn't get framed, Lumen lives (yet leaves for a weird reason), Deb doesn't find out.

And apparently Dexter's wrecked car wasn't taken into consideration at the campsite. Also, What about Quinn's fingerprints on the van? He shouldn't be fully cleared yet.

I'd imagine it would be pretty hard to top Season 4's shocking ending, so I'll cut this episode some slack....But I can't help but feel dissapointed. This should have been stronger.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
zahmerica
zahmerica
14. RE: a dud
Dec 12 2010, 4:51 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 12 2010, 4:52 PM EST
"Its weird dexter showed more emotion when lumen broke up with him then when rita died."
It was kinda sick actually. I'm starting to think the producers had some kind of beef with Julie Benz. Who would treat such a longterm character like that? Ripping off the wedding ring. Dead and forgotten. It was just badly played out. We shouldn't have expected a normal demonstration of grief.... but blatantly dismissing her heartbreaking murder seems so below the belt.
Do you find this valuable?    

Puckhog27
15. RE: a dud
Dec 12 2010, 4:57 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 12 2010, 4:57 PM EST
I think it was just showing that he was at peace with causing her death inadvertently. He did show some emotion over her death at times like when he killed the man at the gas station.

Luman is also a different situation. He had someone who he could confide in finally and she basically tells him that she can't stay with him because he is going to continue to kill people even if she doesn't have to participate. That was a bit of a low blow IMO. If she truly loved him she would have stayed and supported him like he supported her. It's probably for the best in the end though. She would probably end up dead at some point to.
Drkly_Drmng_Of_Ssn_4
Drkly_Drmng_Of_Ssn_4
16. RE: Reaction to the Finale
Dec 12 2010, 5:17 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 12 2010, 5:17 PM EST
I was completely dumbfounded by the simplicity and sheer laziness of this season’s ending. There was a bit of suspense wondering “what will happen to Lumen…” but we all knew after investing the entire season into her redemption that fans would be pissed if there was no payoff. I guess after the brilliance of season four, its seemingly impossible to top. The mastery of Lithgow and MCH was unmistakable. I will say the initial idea of a victim of one of Dex’s ‘victims’ getting tangled up in his routine was intriguing at first but that’s about as far as it went. The ‘wow’ factor peaked this season when Dex discovered Lumen. I was really hoping the writers could soar with the greatness of season four, but alas it is not meant to be. I think Jordan Chase had some potential as a super villain but was left under-developed. Finally my biggest gripe with the season is Quinn having evidence of Dex dumping his ‘cargo’ out to sea and doing nothing with that. He was charged up to do more detective work from a hunch about a sketch. Then Liddy tells him he’s busting Dexter and then magically shows up dead. Dex would have had no alibi if asked. Also, they make Miami metro look like buffoons by collecting zero evidence from Liddy’s crime scene. If we were watching an episode of C.S.I. they’d have all kinds of trace evidence, hair strands, skin cells… whatever. At the end I was waiting with baited breath wondering what was going to happen? What will be the big hook into next year? Waiting….wating… and nothing?! It felt like any other episode. I think the reason I’m so critical is I feel between seasons 1,2 and 4, this show has established itself as the greatest show in television history (yes even over the Sopranos) and it makes me sad to see it declining. Come on writers… give us another season 4! 3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
DiscoveringDexter
DiscoveringDexter
17. RE: Reaction to the Finale
Dec 12 2010, 5:47 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 12 2010, 5:47 PM EST
It's on again and the one flaw I hate is when Deb drives up to the camp that she doesn't acknowledge the crashed car-- I mean that's pretty hard to miss! The break up scene could've been better, seemed a little unrealistic when she said that she had to leave today. Why not tomorrow? Do you find this valuable?    

gaglida
18. RE: Reaction to the Finale
Dec 12 2010, 5:47 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 12 2010, 5:47 PM EST
I think there was a lot more depth than folks are giving credit for. It seems to me that Deb MUST BE speculating on some level that Dexter was involved in the vigilante killings. Quinn certainly knows something was up.

Deb knew that Quinn was looking into her brother. She knows that Quinn signed out the surveillance equipment that Liddy was using. She knows that, in the words of Batista, if you find who Liddy was surveilling, you will find Liddy's killer. She knows that if she simply asks Quinn, she will find out who Liddy was surveilling. There has to be some talk between Deb and Quinn about this, and if there isn't, then it is obviously purposeful blindness to the fact. The only reason that Quinn wouldn't speak of it and Deb wouldn't ask would be because they realize Dexter was the guy being surveilled.

Dexter changed the blood for Quinn, presumably saying the blood was Quinn's. But it's not as though he completely saved Quinn's ass. If Dexter hadn't done this, Quinn would simply have been forced to talk openly about what he knew vis a vis Dexter and Dex would be the prime suspect in killing Liddy. It seems that Dexter and Quinn have a secret pact between them at this point and it's hard to believe that Deb wouldn't begin digging into things. She is great at piecing things together and it would be utterly implausible to think she wouldn't start to piece this stuff together.

Dexter ought to be aware that in the very least Quinn knows what's up and ought to be anxious that Deb could very well speculate too. It would be implausible for speculation not to occur.

I think there is a great deal to wonder about in next season. This was NOT at all neatly and tidily wrapped up. I think it was meant to appear that way, but underneath, there is a great deal to make us wonder and speculate.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

gaglida
19. RE: Reaction to the Finale
Dec 12 2010, 5:57 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 12 2010, 5:57 PM EST
By the way, my wife thought it was a neat and tidy ending without cliff hangers, as did most on here. I don't see it that way at all. I think everything I just wrote BEGS several questions and much speculation on the part of Deb.

The only thing that didn't add up was Dexter's reaction at the end. I think he should have shown some level of concern or anxiety about the loose ends that are so obviously hanging out there.

And even when Deb made the carefully worded comment to Dexter that HE must be glad this is over. Did we all not find that a bit odd? Why would Dex be glad this is all over? Is there speculation on some level that will have to come out or grow in a following season.

Also, on the level of the overall show arc, they do finally give some reason to think that Dexter could have some small hope that his Dark Passenger can be overcome or left behind. Lumen is one example of this. However fleeting, he had that thought, though he quickly stomped it out. But it makes it plausible that the series can end on a happy note with him overcoming this compulsion. Up to now I always assumed it would have to end with him being somehow caught or found out - nothing else would make any sense - other than perhaps being left with him going off into the sunset still killing, with his ultimate fate undetermined.

I see many questions raised - not a neat ending to the season.
2 3 4 5 | Next > Last