Discussion: How Many Seasons Do You Think Dexter Will LastReported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 60  |  Show  posts at a time
2 3 | Next

amy_c
How Many Seasons Do You Think Dexter Will Last
Jan 21 2011, 6:23 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 21 2011, 6:23 AM EST
We keep getting *so* close to Dexter getting caught / Deb finding out. How many seasons do you think the show will last? I mean, how long could Dexter keep getting away with everything?

With the ratings climbing higher and higher, I imagine they might try to push it past the next season...

5  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: None
DexterWillGetCaught
DexterWillGetCaught
1. RE: How Many Seasons Do You Think Dexter Will Last
Jan 21 2011, 3:44 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 21 2011, 3:44 PM EST
If the show was realistic he would have been caught in season 2 when Lundy was brought it, but, since it's not, i guess maybe 2-3 season more.

I think they should end it this year, the more they drag it out the more viewers they lose.
1  out of 20 found this valuable. Do you?    
SorchaNB
SorchaNB
2. RE: How Many Seasons Do You Think Dexter Will Last
Jan 24 2011, 5:01 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 24 2011, 5:01 AM EST
"I think they should end it this year, the more they drag it out the more viewers they lose."
The more they drag it out the more viewers they lose? Well, the ratings would indicate the opposite heh
14  out of 16 found this valuable. Do you?    

Losa78
3. RE: How Many Seasons Do You Think Dexter Will Last
Jan 25 2011, 10:29 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 25 2011, 10:29 AM EST
In this case it seems that indeed the show hasn't started to bleed viewers, at least not yet.

When it comes to our favorite shows like this, one tends to wish they would last forever, or at least for a long, long time.
However, as any experienced TV viewer knows all too well, as seasons progress, it gets harder and harder to keep a show fresh, intelligent and on the right direction. There are exceptions, of course, but there is an almost hopeless tendency for quality to decline over the years.

So, the way I see it, it all depends on how things turn out as we go. As it was common opinion around here, Dexter's season 5 suffered in quality a little bit already, specially the finale. If things keep going downhill on the upcoming season 6, I may find myself wishing the show ends already, once and for all. If things improve, I will look forward to another season. We'll see.

One thing will be mandatory, though: if they decide to end it for some reason, I hope they can come up with a decent ending to provide real closure for all the characters and plot danglers. The fans deserve no less.
3  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    

amy_c
4. RE: How Many Seasons Do You Think Dexter Will Last
Jan 26 2011, 6:48 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 26 2011, 6:48 AM EST
"In this case it seems that indeed the show hasn't started to bleed viewers, at least not yet.

"
No pun intended, right? ;)

5  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    

Losa78
5. RE: How Many Seasons Do You Think Dexter Will Last
Jan 26 2011, 9:12 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 26 2011, 9:12 AM EST
"No pun intended, right? ;)

"
I wish I had intended that awesome pun that you mean, but I have to be honest and say I didn't. Nice catch, though!
Thank you for one of my best belly laughs today, Amy!
xD
1  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

leighadnett
6. RE: How Many Seasons Do You Think Dexter Will Last
Jan 27 2011, 7:47 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 27 2011, 7:47 AM EST
I think it will last up until Season 7 3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
swdbocephus
swdbocephus
7. RE: How Many Seasons Do You Think Dexter Will Last
Jan 28 2011, 5:33 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 28 2011, 5:33 PM EST
Why not build the show up to it's finale by the end of season 7? It appears to gaining more viewers as it goes along. I could foresee taking two seasons to wrapping up the Dexter dilemma, does he rid himself of the dark passenger? Does he get caught? Or do we let him ride out into the sunset, believing that he will continue to go on? 4  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
ABrahza
ABrahza
8. RE: How Many Seasons Do You Think Dexter Will Last
Jan 29 2011, 7:52 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 29 2011, 7:52 PM EST
its only right that his son growns up the same way he did but with the ability to feel! passing on the killer heritage to his son as Dexter finds the one person that truely understands who he has become as he gets older and dies of a disesase of some sort! Son grows up and there you have a spin off wich they can call "Dirty Harry" Son of Dexter! 5  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    
swdbocephus
swdbocephus
9. RE: How Many Seasons Do You Think Dexter Will Last
Jan 30 2011, 9:42 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 30 2011, 9:42 AM EST
Why not expand the series when the cast gets burned out with Harrison being taught the code & possibly adapting the code a bit. I thought that having Lumen would cause Dexter to find the peace he always desired, sharing with someone else that understands him 4  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

matt94gt
10. RE: How Many Seasons Do You Think Dexter Will Last
Feb 1 2011, 11:45 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 1 2011, 11:45 AM EST
Hopefully a few more seasons, yes season 5 stared to drag a little (just finished watching 1-5 back to back on dvd) but I still need more dexter. Keep it coming! Hopefully season 6 will have some good stories. 4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Luminol
11. RE: How Many Seasons Do You Think Dexter Will Last
Feb 7 2011, 1:53 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 7 2011, 1:53 AM EST
I don't think they're planning to end the show any time soon. It's a very popular and lucrative franchise and considering the very open-ended finale to this season, they could take the show in a totally different direction and keep it going for years to come. Still, I think I'd rather they ended it soon with a bang rather than dragging it out through increasingly repetitive seasons.

Personally, I loved this season (easily one of my favorites), but they recycled a lot of old plots to make it. And while I was entertained and enjoyed it, it'll get old really fast if they reuse the same story lines again (I know that plenty of fans have already reached that point). I'm *hoping* that next season we'll either see Deb beginning to put the pieces together or we'll see the show go off in a new direction. Though, I honestly hope Dexter training Harrison to take his place isn't in the cards as some other people have predicted.
3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
CKrelax
CKrelax
12. RE: How Many Seasons Do You Think Dexter Will Last
Feb 21 2011, 7:12 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 21 2011, 7:12 AM EST
"We keep getting *so* close to Dexter getting caught / Deb finding out. How many seasons do you think the show will last? I mean, how long could Dexter keep getting away with everything?

With the ratings climbing higher and higher, I imagine they might try to push it past the next season...

"
I think the show has a really great format. The length of the series running may well depend on how creatively the writers work that format.

The fanbase has grwon like a sunflower in a vacant lot ,and , is spreading like cow poop in a pasture. The show has many more seasons ahead.
3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
CKrelax
CKrelax
13. RE: How Many Seasons Do You Think Dexter Will Last
Feb 21 2011, 7:13 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 21 2011, 7:13 AM EST
I think the final season will be entitled Dexter Gone Wild and will show highlights of his loves and kills. lol Do you find this valuable?    
Sueezedtight
Sueezedtight
14. RE: How Many Seasons Do You Think Dexter Will Last
Feb 21 2011, 7:44 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 21 2011, 7:45 AM EST
How many seasons are there?

The first two were his springtime.

The next two were his summer holiday with Rita followed by the dog days of August with Trinity.

The fifth is the start of the fall. The next should be grim and dirty. Dexter gets down to the nitty gritty.

The winter of his discontent? We may find him plunging into the darkness to get lost forever or to sleep, perchance to dream.....of better, brighter days?
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

DIZZEXTER
15. RE: How Many Seasons Do You Think Dexter Will Last
Feb 22 2011, 7:09 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 22 2011, 7:09 AM EST
Who's to say that Dexter won't be caught or admit what he is to Deb and the people closest to him. I wouldn't put it past the writers to kill Dexter in some "blaze of glory" final act that catches most people by surprise. With all of the talent surrounding this show, actors and writers, they are smart enough to know that a series is judged as much on its entirety as how it ends. So many great shows have had sub par finales that put off viewers and I don't think Dexter will fall into that category. I expect the unexpected with Dexter, that is what makes the show so good. 3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Cisco-Kid
16. RE: How Many Seasons Do You Think Dexter Will Last
Feb 22 2011, 5:59 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 22 2011, 5:59 PM EST
ive only seen up to season 4 and i heard 5 was a real disappointment..from the beginning i thought itd end at 5 or 6 but it seems like they're gonna drag this **** on forever. they should somehow relate the 'bay harbour butcher' back to dexter. (and that debra is one dodo head) 0  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
DeborahNeal
DeborahNeal
18. RE: How Many Seasons Do You Think Dexter Will Last
Mar 21 2011, 10:25 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 21 2011, 10:25 AM EDT
I have to admit that I have gotten caught up in different series in the past that actually LOST SOMETHING with each season...EDGE, SUSPENSE, THRILL, SOME SORT OF ADDICTIVE QUALITY that keeps you watching and wanting more...DEXTER IS CERTAINLY DIFFERENT from them. Yes there is the feel of an ever present possibility that he could be caught at any time, but it's the way in which he reasons his way trhough each new quandary that keeps us GLUED to the tv. The way he learns and adapts through every human contact he makes...each CONVERSATION, everything he SEES and HEARS...and in the end of each episode he combines all of his NEW KNOWLEDGE with OLD and so seemingly effortlessly he is able to solve his current dilemma. I don't see his not getting FOUND OUT or CAUGHT as a problem or a reason to end the show. I BELIEVE THAT IT GIVES CREDIBILITY TO HIS CHARACTER'S DARK PASSENGER'S GENIUS. It is what continues to give DEXTER it's ADDICTIVE QUALITY. I don't foresee it ending anytime in the near future. I think that the fact that the writer's are so amazed at themselves each time they pull off yet another SUCCESSFUL SEASON simply speaks to their commitment to keeping the show VIBRANT and UNPREDICTABLE...I LOVE IT...NEED I SAY MORE? 4  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

Ladicen
19. RE: How Many Seasons Do You Think Dexter Will Last
Mar 21 2011, 7:25 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 21 2011, 7:25 PM EDT
Dex has to eventually be caught on some massive/public scale where his only options are to run or go to prison. Either happening could be an entire season on its own - Dex running from Miami, new life, new setting, maybe having to take innocent lives of those who recognize him? Or prison, it'd be interesting to see a court battle, maybe public support for him, breaking out (a nice omage to Ted Bundy, as the series likes to reference actions of real serial killers). They coud actually do both - prison, escape, on the run. Whatever happens, what I really want to see is Dex just lose it mentally. I think the only fitting ending would be for Dex to realize the game is over and in that ultimate agony, his true psychopathic qualities, his Dark Passenger, completely engulf him. I'm thinking something like Light from Death Note being beaten by N. A complete mental breakdown. Anything else would be lame, really. Kill him off? Boo. Life in prison? Boring. Losing his Dark Passenger, or for whatever non-death related, never being caught? Anticlimactic.

The 6th season was hinted at being the kids staying with Dex for the summer. It's hard to even say what could happen after that but if they go the prison/escape route, they'd easily have a 7th and 8th season. If they were willing to cut all current characters except Dex and Harrison and start "fresh"? Easily another season.
4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
Inferno320
Inferno320
20. RE: How Many Seasons Do You Think Dexter Will Last
Mar 31 2011, 11:30 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 31 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
I think that seven seasons is a good amount. Six seems a little too short, since there's only twelve episodes per season. And eight just seems too long. I can easily see there being seven.

As for the ending of the entire show, I really think that it would be great if he's caught by his sister (since she's come so close so many times). Deb struggles with what to do; knows she has to report him, but her loyalties are tied to her brother. In the end, he gets killed, but it would have to be in some big epic way, or else it wouldn't give the show justice. I've watched too many shows that are awesome and addicting the whole way through, and then the end ruins it for me.
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
2 3 | Next