Discussion: Big Bad for Season 7Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 22  |  Show  posts at a time
2 | Next
Lilalover
Lilalover
Big Bad for Season 7
Jan 2 2012, 8:25 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 2 2012, 8:25 AM EST
For the past 2 seasons, the writing and plotlines on Dexter seasons 5&6 have been fairly weak and un eventful. I suggest that the writers HIRE someone else to write for the show. Maybe inject some NEW BLOOD into the show's writing. I suggest they get some other writer from say Doctor Who , or another writer from a horror genre movie screen writer. I would also like to nominate Robin Williams as the Big Bad . For reference, check out One Hour Photo movie. In closing, we need more bad guy killing by Dexter.In a 12 episode season, Dexter has to at least kill 1 person an episode. 3  out of 13 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: Dexter Dexter Season 6
condev
condev
1. RE: Big Bad for Season 7
Jan 3 2012, 2:17 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 3 2012, 7:10 AM EST
"For the past 2 seasons, the writing and plotlines on Dexter seasons 5&6 have been fairly weak and un eventful. I suggest that the writers HIRE someone else to write for the show. Maybe inject some NEW BLOOD into the show's writing. I suggest they get some other writer from say Doctor Who , or another writer from a horror genre movie screen writer. I would also like to nominate Robin Williams as the Big Bad . For reference, check out One Hour Photo movie. In closing, we need more bad guy killing by Dexter.In a 12 episode season, Dexter has to at least kill 1 person an episode."
I agree, The later seasons of the Dexter series did not have the quality of writing that the earlier seasons did, with the exception of season 3, which was my least favorite. It seems, since season 4 the writing has gone south. Season 5 was a particularly difficult season to deal with, since Dexter was picking up the pieces of his life after Rita. I think season 5 was superior to 6. Robin Williams would be a good Big Bad, a villian with a sense of humor ! I did see One Hour Photo, and he was great in that role. Kevin Costner would also be good as a cerebral type Big Bad who could give Dexter a run for his money in the brains department, or maybe William Hurt ! Did you see Mr. Brooks? Alec Baldwin could be another good choice. He has played many parts as a hero and villian. Alec Baldwin has played both roles very well, and did so with humor and wit.
Do you find this valuable?    
condev
condev
2. RE: Big Bad for Season 7
Jan 3 2012, 2:25 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 3 2012, 3:03 AM EST
How about multiple big bads, like they did in season 5? Examples, Shawn Hatosy, Peter Weller, Jonny Lee Miller.
In season 7, I think this Deb/Dex love scenario may direct the emphasis of the show off Dexter killing the evil doers, to dealing with Deb's new found knowledge of Dex, at least for a while, anyway.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
MikoMumei
MikoMumei
3. RE: Big Bad for Season 7
Jan 3 2012, 4:00 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 3 2012, 4:00 AM EST
Ooh, Mr Brooks is a great movie! I loved it. Had great humor, too.
I mentioned it before, I could imagine Louis blackmailing Dexter that way. If it happens, it's safe to assume the writers know the movie, too *g*
One Hour Photo...good movie. But Williams didn't exactly play a bad guy, did he?? It was years ago when I watch that movie, but he doesn't kill anyone, right?

I agree that the season 5 and 6 villains were not scary. Chase even less so than Travis/Gellar, but Chase made more sense as a character. At least there was some sort of explanation for his homicidal personality. Travis was a total mess. Most unbelievable character in the entire show.
1  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
condev
condev
4. RE: Big Bad for Season 7
Jan 3 2012, 5:29 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 3 2012, 6:58 AM EST
"Ooh, Mr Brooks is a great movie! I loved it. Had great humor, too.
I mentioned it before, I could imagine Louis blackmailing Dexter that way. If it happens, it's safe to assume the writers know the movie, too *g*
One Hour Photo...good movie. But Williams didn't exactly play a bad guy, did he?? It was years ago when I watch that movie, but he doesn't kill anyone, right?

I agree that the season 5 and 6 villains were not scary. Chase even less so than Travis/Gellar, but Chase made more sense as a character. At least there was some sort of explanation for his homicidal personality. Travis was a total mess. Most unbelievable character in the entire show. "
I totally agree....Mr. Brooks was a terrific movie, a good insight into the SK obsessive/compulsive mind, and Costner or Hurt would make great villians. In One Hour Photo, Williams played more of a twisted stalker. I must admit I liked the movie, but I kept waiting for a funny line to laugh at, because I kept thinking of Robin Williams as Mrs. Doubtfire.
I liked season 5 of Dexter better than 6 because of the acting and variety of good actors like Peter Weller and Julia Stiles, for example. Season 6 was more single minded, focusing on Travis and Gellar as well as the Deb loves Dex thing. Travis was a scarier villian than Chase. Colin Hanks was superior to Jonny Lee Miller in his portrayal of the Big Bad, but you're right, the explanation for Travis's behavior left us cold, except for the fact that he was a psycho. The fault there, lies with the writers and not the actor. Hanks portrayal of Travis was first rate, IMO.
1  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Adumbros
5. RE: Big Bad for Season 7
Mar 21 2012, 3:57 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 21 2012, 3:57 AM EDT
Hmmm....well thought out topic. First off, I totally agree that Season 6 sucked major ass in every way. For the most part, they've had major power players in Hollywood lore guest star in each season since Season 2 (i.e., Keith Carradine as Lundy, Jimmy Smits as Prado, JOHN ******* LITHGOW!!!!!!! as Trinity (with a brief season cameo from Carradine again), Julia Stiles)....and all we get for Season 6 is Colin frickin Hanks? Now TOM Hanks may have been an even bigger coup than the notorious Mr. Lithgow, IMHAHO, but Colin...come on now. He makes his name off nepotism alone. And Olmos is a joke. Mos Def might've been a credible cameo inclusion, if the show was called "Dexter's ******" (And wtf was with him suddenly creating yet another stage name, that Yasin **** or w/e, for one episode?). And the whole pseudo-incest **** with Deb...just UGH!!!! HORRIFIC, and EMPTY plotlining by a team of utterly talentless writers. It almost feels as if they're attempting to set us up with an excuse to have Deb follow her literary counterpart's lead in Season 7, which would be a major disaster considering the direction of the show and the development of the screen Deb's character. And an even more pathetic way to go about it. Deb seeing Dex as her replacement for Harry...OK. I can see her wanting a b/f more like her brother who lavishes her than the father who largely atrophied himself from her. But Deb wanting some Dex ****....that would suddenly make him totally resentful of his decision to whack Brian, and would throw every single act in series history off its considerable axis. What's she gonna do, go "Hey bro, I'll keep this murder thingy hush-hush down at the station if you let me give you a ******' *******?" just...ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1  out of 9 found this valuable. Do you?    

Adumbros
6. RE: Big Bad for Season 7
Mar 21 2012, 3:59 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 21 2012, 3:59 AM EDT
*John F*ckin Lithgow
**"Dexter's N!ggas"
***Yasin sh!t
****pseudo-incest sh!t
*****Deb wanting some Dex c@ck
******f*ckin' bl@wjob
2  out of 10 found this valuable. Do you?    

Adumbros
7. RE: Big Bad for Season 7
Mar 21 2012, 4:11 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 21 2012, 4:11 AM EDT
Anyway...moving on...

I find it a bit redundant to use Robin Williams. Magnificent character actor, and would probably floor us with his performance, except Hollywood power player portraying creepy ass old guy with a fetishist penchant for perverse slaughtering was already done by Lithgow, and frankly, Johnny's performance will never be rivaled, not even by Hall's performance of the series' titular character. I find Costner and Baldwin to be very dense and limited actors, thus their stereotypes industrywide. You may as well suggest Charlie Sheen for all that, although if you got him to tape his segments in the series whilst loaded on smack, it'd probably come across as believable and downright entertaining. William Hurt...now THAT'S an intriguing possibility. I'm also dying to know who precisely it is on Hall's personal wish list, even though I know he refuses to divulge for fear of that revelation costing him his desired evil counterpart/s. My proposition is that we finally have a female lead as the Big Bad (and no, Lila doesn't count, b/c for all intents and purposes, she was a secondary character in the background of the episodes in Season 2 in which she appears, and Dex himself was the Big Bad as the Butcher, with Doakes playing that role for the story's sake). Someone who would throw Dex off his game, as most killers (and most of his own victims) are male, and it plays on the psychology of the woman as caregiver/nurturer. Someone who could truly challenge him for supremacy, not just play a constant game of cat and mouse a la previous seasons' nemeses. Maybe even someone ridiculously young, maybe even a true child, a teenager in high school (or reform school, sneaking off at night), just getting started on her road to infamy, someone who would be far more clever and careful than the distorted mess that Dex has become, someone who may, in the end, even be the ultimate downfall of him.
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Adumbros
8. RE: Big Bad for Season 7
Mar 21 2012, 4:15 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 21 2012, 4:15 AM EDT
Whether that be via her victimization of him, or via a reticent Deb realizing that for the sake of public safety she HAS to turn him in, or her somehow pulling a Brian, only SUCCESSFULLY exposing him as the true Bay Harbor Butcher. Maybe even...one of Doakes' relatives (sister/niece, even a daughter he may not have known he had or had little contact with), someone who believed in his innocence enough to launch an underground independent investigation of her own into the man behind James' constant ramblings. Whatever the case, I think it has to be an angle that's fresh, innovative, without any true star power to propel it. Let the freakin' story navigate itself for just one g-d season, why don'tcha? 2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
Jigsaw47
Jigsaw47
9. RE: Big Bad for Season 7
Mar 21 2012, 7:12 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 21 2012, 7:12 AM EDT
"Hmmm....well thought out topic. First off, I totally agree that Season 6 sucked major ass in every way. For the most part, they've had major power players in Hollywood lore guest star in each season since Season 2 (i.e., Keith Carradine as Lundy, Jimmy Smits as Prado, JOHN ******* LITHGOW!!!!!!! as Trinity (with a brief season cameo from Carradine again), Julia Stiles)....and all we get for Season 6 is Colin frickin Hanks? Now TOM Hanks may have been an even bigger coup than the notorious Mr. Lithgow, IMHAHO, but Colin...come on now. He makes his name off nepotism alone. And Olmos is a joke. Mos Def might've been a credible cameo inclusion, if the show was called "Dexter's ******" (And wtf was with him suddenly creating yet another stage name, that Yasin **** or w/e, for one episode?). And the whole pseudo-incest **** with Deb...just UGH!!!! HORRIFIC, and EMPTY plotlining by a team of utterly talentless writers. It almost feels as if they're attempting to set us up with an excuse to have Deb follow her literary counterpart's lead in Season 7, which would be a major disaster considering the direction of the show and the development of the screen Deb's character. And an even more pathetic way to go about it. Deb seeing Dex as her replacement for Harry...OK. I can see her wanting a b/f more like her brother who lavishes her than the father who largely atrophied himself from her. But Deb wanting some Dex ****....that would suddenly make him totally resentful of his decision to whack Brian, and would throw every single act in series history off its considerable axis. What's she gonna do, go "Hey bro, I'll keep this murder thingy hush-hush down at the station if you let me give you a ******' *******?" just...ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Really ? Then why ru still watching ?
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
Lilalover
Lilalover
10. RE: Big Bad for Season 7
Mar 23 2012, 5:43 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 23 2012, 5:46 PM EDT
I love all the responses we are getting on the Big Bad subject for Season 7. Charley Sheen,Hmmm! A female Big Bad, a double HMMMMMmm! A female villain would pose a challenge for Dexter. One where he might need Debra's help on. How about that. Dexter and Debra working together on trying to catch a serial Female Villain. A la Charlize Therone, maybe? Or how about Blythe Danner? A real Kick-ass silent assassin / thinking killer to challenge Dexter. I hope the writers are paying attention to this thread. All in all people I think what we are asking for is, is a REVIVAL of DEXTER. This show is way to good of a series to just fade away and disappear from television. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
APassengerDarkly
APassengerDarkly
11. RE: Big Bad for Season 7
Apr 6 2012, 12:24 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 6 2012, 12:24 AM EDT
"A female villain would pose a challenge for Dexter. One where he might need Debra's help on. How about that. Dexter and Debra working together on trying to catch a serial Female Villain. A la Charlize Therone, maybe? Or how about Blythe Danner? A real Kick-ass silent assassin / thinking killer to challenge Dexter. I hope the writers are paying attention to this thread. All in all people I think what we are asking for is, is a REVIVAL of DEXTER. This show is way to good of a series to just fade away and disappear from television."
I know it would be a long shot, and maybe they wait until season 8 for the next big baddie, but if it's a woman... what about Mara Rooney? If you're unfamiliar with her, she was in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

mike91848
12. RE: Big Bad for Season 7
Apr 6 2012, 6:42 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 6 2012, 6:42 AM EDT
"I know it would be a long shot, and maybe they wait until season 8 for the next big baddie, but if it's a woman... what about Mara Rooney? If you're unfamiliar with her, she was in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo."
Mara Rooney would be a great addition to the Dexter show. I think the show needs to get serious again like it was in earlier seasons. Dexter is intelligent and the 'Big Bad' should be too. The writing needs to set the tone for the show. A comic book feel like last season just doesn't do justice to the show.
APassengerDarkly
APassengerDarkly
13. RE: Big Bad for Season 7
Apr 6 2012, 10:44 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 6 2012, 10:44 PM EDT
"Mara Rooney would be a great addition to the Dexter show. I think the show needs to get serious again like it was in earlier seasons. Dexter is intelligent and the 'Big Bad' should be too. The writing needs to set the tone for the show. A comic book feel like last season just doesn't do justice to the show.
"
I'm a recent fan of the show so I haven't had time to really digest the differences between the seasons and what made earlier seasons better. But as far as Dexter is concerned I don't think baddies are who/what will bring Dexter down. JMO. The show basically sets Dexter up to be the ultimate "baddie" in that regard. If I had to pick someone that was going to bring Dexter down it would be the Mike Anderson character.

Mara Rooney was incredible in TGWTDT. Totally threw me for a loop when I realized she also played Zuckerberg's girlfriend who dumps him at the start of The Social Network.
Lilalover
Lilalover
14. RE: Big Bad for Season 7
Apr 8 2012, 5:46 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 8 2012, 5:46 AM EDT
I was just noticing how great a bad guy Kevin Bacon played on X-Men First Class. He might not be a bad choice to be the next Big Bad for Dexter to tackle next. If Bacon could not do the show, Michael Fassbender is another great choice. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
DebslovDex
DebslovDex
15. RE: Big Bad for Season 7
Apr 12 2012, 9:07 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 12 2012, 9:07 PM EDT
"For the past 2 seasons, the writing and plotlines on Dexter seasons 5&6 have been fairly weak and un eventful. I suggest that the writers HIRE someone else to write for the show. Maybe inject some NEW BLOOD into the show's writing. I suggest they get some other writer from say Doctor Who , or another writer from a horror genre movie screen writer. I would also like to nominate Robin Williams as the Big Bad . For reference, check out One Hour Photo movie. In closing, we need more bad guy killing by Dexter.In a 12 episode season, Dexter has to at least kill 1 person an episode."
I like you, love to see Dex kill. That's what we love. But I just love to look at Michael C. Hall doing anything. He is my all time fav. and James Hetfield. I am 57 and those two just drive me up the wall. I love Dex though. I just wonder if I will live to see the end of Dexter, it would drive me nuts not too. I am in love with him. Michel and Dex. I think a good big bad would be the guy that plays on Justified.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Lilalover
Lilalover
16. RE: Big Bad for Season 7
Apr 15 2012, 9:17 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 15 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
Are you referring to Timothy Olyphant? I have not seen the series Justified, How ever, my friend at work has suggested I watch it a few times. I am very open to a new villan who is a thinker and has Screen Presence. I will check it out. Do you find this valuable?    
DebslovDex
DebslovDex
17. RE: Big Bad for Season 7
Apr 16 2012, 8:22 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 16 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
"Are you referring to Timothy Olyphant? I have not seen the series Justified, How ever, my friend at work has suggested I watch it a few times. I am very open to a new villan who is a thinker and has Screen Presence. I will check it out."
Yes Timothy Olyphant!!! He can look so mean and great at the same time, great viewing!!!!
DebslovDex
DebslovDex
18. RE: Big Bad for Season 7
Apr 16 2012, 8:26 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 16 2012, 8:26 AM EDT
Hey condev, debslovsdex here. Long time no talk! Have you thought about Timothy Olyphant as the big bad? He's on Justified and he can be intimidating. Love talking to you I still love Dex all seasons!!!!! Do you find this valuable?    
Lilalover
Lilalover
19. RE: Big Bad for Season 7
May 12 2012, 4:36 PM EDT | Post edited: May 12 2012, 4:36 PM EDT
Well everybody, here is what will happen in Season 7. You may turn away or not read this part. http://dexterseason7.info/dexter-season-7-a-sneak-peek-spoilers/ 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
2 | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)